Sunday, February 12, 2023

Station 21 and Hennepin HealthCare Ambulance

 


February 12, 2023

Riding Shotgun with Jeff the Ambulance Driver

           Station 21 makes a hard right on 36th Avenue followed by a

Hennepin HealthCare ambulance as I make my way to see my student.

This feels like a very odd birthday reminder from Josh in the upper heavens.

He would have turned 83 tomorrow February 13, 2023.

Once again there are no birthday cards to get him,

or a funny 7 foot paper length of him to cut out and laugh over playfully!

No candles to blow out on the birthday cake I make.

or mystical martini invitations to put into the mail just in time.

Those blue glass martini glasses hold only dust and memories now.

I took some out for wine when my friend Bob came over for supper 

they still shimmer.

 I watch the EMT's jump out of the cab followed by the ambulance crew.

 I remember the feeling  of relief as they crowded into our living room.

having endured the minutes passing like hours

 as Josh's breathing labored with pain that did not cease.

 The big men came in asking medical questions 

we told the whole story... again.

I'd stop and offer them my thanks to them for all the times I called 911

when they came to our home

and for that time they saved Josh's life 

when he had cardiac arrest in front of the house in the ambulance.

But there is no time for that, there never is. 

 My tears of remembrance are my offering of thanks 

as I watch them entering the known and unknown house,

remembering how it felt to receive their care and help

even as my beloved was whisked away

 lights flashing and sirens blaring to a mysterious medical destination. 

**********

Drifting in the upper realms your pain has ceased.

You are a vapor now as I summon you from the celestial realms

from time to time and

I am so grateful you are far beyond it all now.








No comments:

Post a Comment